That light bulb moment when you realise you are or your child is (or both) highly sensitive is just the first step on the journey to understanding yourself or your child. Once you know that highly sensitive characteristics are at play the real searching for answers begins. Here are 21 essential resources to help you on that journey.
1. The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron
If you are parenting a highly sensitive child (HSC) this should be your starting point and your new parenting bible. You can read a full reader review here.
Top Tip: There are comprehensive tips for teachers at the end of the book that are worth sharing with your child’s teachers.
2. The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron
If you are a highly sensitive person (HSP) then this book will be an eye opener for you. Read what it is to be a HSP.
Where to buy: Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk
3. My Quiet Adventures
Want books specifically written and beautifully illustrated for highly sensitive children? Look no further. My Quiet Adventure books are beautifully illustrated with stories that HSCs relate to. You can read a review here.
4. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
70% of highly sensitive people is also introverted. ‘Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking’ is a must read for any highly sensitive person who is also an introvert.
5. Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverted Kids by Susan Cain
Likewise, if you are parenting introverted HSCs this is a great read for you both.
6. Understanding the Highly Sensitive Child: Seeing an Overwhelming World through Their Eyes by Jamie Williamson
This book is a great read to gain an understanding of how it is to be highly sensitive. It’s also a great gift idea to give family members or teachers so they can better understand your child. You can read a full review here.
7. The Strong Sensitive Boy by Ted Zeff
Elaine Aron sums this up perfectly: “Every parent of a sensitive boy should read this book.” –Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D. (author of The Highly Sensitive Person and The Highly Sensitive Child).
8. The Highly Sensitive Person: everything you need to know about being highly sensitive on Elaine Aron’s website.
9. Sensitive and Extraordinary Kids: an open and honest blog written by the mother of highly sensitive children.
10. Sense and Sensitivity: blog posts about the ups and downs of a highly sensitive life.
11. The Highly Sensitive Child: Resources, info and tips for everyone involved with HSCs
12. Highly Sensitive Refuge: “….on a mission to prove that high sensitivity can be strong.” An authoritative collection of articles and resources that emphasise it’s okay to be highly sensitive. See also the Facebook page.
13. Aha Parenting! blog: for all things parenting, not just highly sensitive related.
14. Common Sense Media: if you are not sure if a film, book or app is appropriate for your HSC this is a great website to check. Honest opinions from parents and kids about whether a movie is emotional or a book is scary. For more tips about films for HSCs check out Movies & TV Shows for Highly Sensitive Children – Parent & Kid Approved.
15. Stress Free Kids: a resource thats aim is to reduce anxiety and build self esteem in children.
16. Headspace: guided meditations that invites relaxation into your life.
17. Calm: It wasn’t app of the year in 2017 for nothing. This is a meditation, relaxation and sleep app well worth adding to your app collection.
18. Sensitive – The Untold Story: this is a must see documentary about the highly sensitive trait spearheaded by Elaine Aron.
19. If you like podcasts then The Highly Sensitive Person podcast will certainly be of interest.
20. HSK Community Facebook group – join over 2700 like minded parents for support, encouragement and tips raising your highly sensitive children.